Why are we fighting against the Omnibus Bill?
The proposed laws by the Morrison Government will tip the balance in the favour of big business and workers will be worse off as a result.
These proposed laws come at the worst possible time for Australian workers, with the COVID-19 pandemic already hurting many workers.
What does the Bill include that would leave workers worse off?
- The proposed laws will remove workplace rights for many casuals
- Employers will be given more power to remove job security
- The legislation does NOT mean an employer MUST offer a casual a permanent job.
Removal of the Better Off Overall Test (The Boot)
- This legislation will mean workers’ pay can be cut and conditions taken away
- These laws would allow employers to create workplace agreements that cut your pay and conditions
- The protection that every worker will be better off than the legal industry minimums (Awards) will be TAKEN AWAY.
- Once these below safety net agreements are approved, they can remain in force. (Some WorkChoices agreements are still in force 11 years after WorkChoices was repealed.)
Greenfields (New project sites)
- Many FIFO and construction workers will have no right to negotiate a collective agreement for up to 8 years
- The legislation removes the rights of blue-collar tradies and FIFO construction workers, creating a class of workers with fewer rights than everyone else.
- FIFO work is dangerous work and the government has refused to fix the problems. Instead, this is exactly what the big mining corporations want.
Workers on Awards
- Minimum pay and conditions can be cut
- The minimum basic standards and workplace rights for your industry can be cut
- You will lose the right to have the independent umpire – the Fair Work Commission – decide your case.